Thursday, December 13, 2007

Propping up the Bar


Design contre Design:catbar, originally uploaded by rhino75.

Wandering round the Grand Palais last night, clutching an empty champagne flute and in search of a bar, I came across this beauty. JUST the thing for Rhino75 Towers this Christmas, don'tcha think, dear reader? And Kitty would love it. There was also this rather saucy chair and a bed in the form of a uterus - you don't get many of those in the Ikea catalogue methinks. They're all part of a small exhibition called "Design Contre Design" which I wasn't expecting to see at all but was actually rather fun. I was there, naturally, for the big guns Courbet show. Have you noticed that no sooner do I mention that I love Courbet on this blog than the Grand Palais comes up with this exhibition - it's almost (my italics) spooky. I was familiar with many of the portraits but had never seen his landscapes before - a revelation, particularly the seascapes (check out La Vague) - or the hunting scenes. Such a wide range and yet you could see all the signs, particularly in the landscapes, of the Impressionists to come. Loved it. And I got to stand next to Bernard Tapie. While eating a bite-sized risotto. But I digress. Off to Brighton AGAIN this weekend to help sis celebrate her birthday and watch a bit more X-Factor. Hurrah!!

4 comments:

amy said...

Oh, lovely. I'm going next week to both, very much looking forward to it.

paperknife said...

I love a cat who can hold its alcohol. Pussy liquor! (Sorry. Really really sorry.)Thanks for the low-down on the Courbet expo - wasn't going to go but having seen this I think I may have to.

Starman said...

Checking out that saucy chair almost made me lose my lunch. Have you no shame? Now if that had been a guy chair.....

Anonymous said...

Bernard Tapie - D'you remember the answer when he asked the Scotsmen in kilts on French TV "what do you wear under your kilts?"