Sunday, February 04, 2007

D.I.Y.

I'm hurt, dear reader. Really. I've got a big gash on my leg - from changing a lightbulb. Yes, I know, hard to believe isn't it? DON'T ASK ME WHY I chose to stand on a collapsible chair to do this relatively mundane task. Because, of course, that's just what it did, bringing me down with it. And pulling the doors off the sink unit in the process. Leaving me lying on the floor, surrounded by cat food, splintered wood and cupboard doors with one leg still trapped in the chair that was now firmly wedged between the two kitchen cupboards. I felt like I'd stepped into "Stalingrad" (though with slightly less snow and mud). For one - mad - moment, I thought I might have to try and amputate my trapped foot using my prized Japanese kitchen knife. Then I realised that if I wrenched the other door from its hinges, I would in fact be able to free the chair and thus save my foot. Phew. High drama indeed for a Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if someone made a movie about it. And the day had gone so well up to that point. Dee-lish brunch + pancakes with Signor G. and then a wander round this fine, if small, exhibition at the Swedish Cultural Centre. The SCC is housed in a beautiful hôtel particulier a mere stone's throw from Rhino75 Towers and is - at the moment - home to this rather fine glass owl, too. If all goes to plan, I shall be spending a lot more time there (but more about that another time...) All in all, a fine afternoon for wandering round aimlessly in the Paris winter sunshine and sipping coffee on a terrace. Which is exactly what we did. Completely bonkers queue to look at the re-hung permanent collection at the Pompidou Centre today, BTW. Whatever.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to mention that delightful evening you had spent with such wonderful people.

I hate you.

Why don't _I_ win the lottery.

rhino75 said...

Haha, Cogito, it WAS a delightful evening, wasn't it? Hats off to the Captain and Marieke, I say. But why do you hate me? Believe me, falling off a kitchen chair is a sport that's open to all!

Anonymous said...

When I started reading this post, I so thought: "OMG how Stalingrad this whole thing is!" and what a coincidence, you also thought about it! Now, admit it, you have a little tiny scratch, right? We want picture proof!!! 'Cos we know what a drama queen usually sits in that collapsible throne...
;-)
PS: Looking forward to hearing more about your future at the SCC.

Anonymous said...

Poor thing, sounds very painful ! Ouch.

Unknown said...

I positively hate you for failing to laud my bread.

And stunning looks. And wit.

But since you have promised to deliver some Byrd I could say you're okay.

No more bread for you though. Nothing personal.

rhino75 said...

THANK YOU, Tiresia hon', at last some sympathy. Though I have to admit that Micke's right - the kitchen came off worse than I did :D Cogito, I didn't mention your bread because, frankly, once I'd started I wouldn't have been able to stop. And anyway, words alone couldn't do it justice ;D

Anonymous said...

Seems to be a weekend of wounds for Scorpios. Falling from heights... Luckily we're also fast healers!

Anyways... you know that the big art museums are free the first Sunday of every month? Hence queue.

rhino75 said...

Of course, Nardac, that was it! I never think about that angle as they're all free for me - one of the rare advantages of **showbiz** :)

Le Meg said...

Museums all free for Rhino?

Yes another good reason to kiss your ass.

*swak*

rhino75 said...

As if one were needed - form an orderly queue!

Unknown said...

Collapsible Throne, huh? I hope you are well but I'm sorry, I feel so wrong, just so bad as I giggled through portions of this. You will forgive me, won't you Darling?