Monday, April 03, 2006

The morning after...

market2market1
There's a fantastic food market that takes place every Sunday in my neighborhood. Imagine if you will, rhino75 wandering leisurely between the different stalls (accessorized with rather smart shopping bag on wheels), pausing only to sniff an oozing camembert - or maybe squeeze a plum for ripeness. All this while engaging in a spot of light banter with the stall-holders who not only value his custom but respect him as a man who, quite literally, knows his onions, before sauntering back to Rhino75 Towers with a spring in his step and a baguette under his arm. Because that's exactly the scene I imagined when I first moved here. Unfortunately, I discovered a major glitch - the market is only on Sunday mornings. And Sunday mornings for rhino75 are rather like the great crested grebe - that is, I know that they exist and that other people have seen them but I've rarely witnessed one myself. Since 1998, I've actually made it to that market five times, normally when I have visitors staying. But today, I was there. Admittedly, I wasn't actually shopping, but rather making my way to a very long, boozy and thoroughly enjoyable lunch with Lady J and her betrothed, but it still counts. I was almost tempted to mark the occasion by purchasing a small packet of dried figs (rhino's secret vice).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rhino, you market hound you. Dried figs w/ peanut butter oozing out, oh I love that. I bet you'd look dashing with a baguette under your arm and a fine wine, dashing and debonair. I'd look like a homeless wino who'll fight for her bread. Bitch, don't make me break this baguette off in yo ass!

Rob7534 said...

Rhino, I can't believe you are admitting this? Isn't it anti-French to say you don't shop at the fresh market!?

Sacré bleu!

Unknown said...

I love the markets, but they do not have then here for me. Now, in Pittsburgh, I worked in the strip district at a gourmet store and we had master coffee roasters on site and it was all open air market in the summer. I miss that. But they don't have fine wines,etc. Now here on Long Island we have some of the beswt wines, a little sweet but very good. Every now and then I like their Ice Wine but it is very sweet treat. I am sorry rhino but I do believe you'd look the part better than me!!

Reluctant Nomad said...

Dried figs are delicious! They are meant to be good for getting those bowels in practice not that I've ever noticed.