Saturday, May 28, 2005

Yeah but no but yeah but no but yeah

I've a secret confession to make: I'm suffering from Eurofatigue. I mean, I KNOW I should be all for this constitution lark, and running around telling people to vote "oui". But I've yet to hear anyone come up with a really convincing reason why. Now, maybe this is because I live in France, a country whose motto is "liberté, égalité, fraternité" but could also be "Why make things simple and get to the point when you can make them incredibly complicated and convince everyone of your own cleverness, particularly if you're a politician?" I watched a -- seemingly interminable -- tv debate Thursday evening on the issue, and ended up completely schizo. All the "Yes" politicians, including lovely DSK, I found unconvincing and unable to say why the constitution was a good thing; all the "No" politicians seemed much more intent on winning people over to their point of view and, therefore, just put a lot more "oomph" into it, but as I find myself diametrically opposed to most of their other policies, why should I trust them on this issue? I want to be European, I believe in Europe, but is this the best way to do it? I'm thoroughly confused. I'm craving (and I never thought I'd hear myself say this) a Powerpoint presentation with bullet points and "for" and "against" lists. Anyway, I think Jon Henley of The Guardian has done an excellent summing up of French people's mixed feelings on this issue (read his piece here). Still no rush, don't have to make up our minds until Sunday...(gulp!).

No comments: