Monday, May 07, 2007

From Your Overseas Correspondent

Yes, yes, I KNOW I'm not really in a very strong position to comment on the French elections, having fled the country ahead of yesterday's deciding vote. However, I can tell you that there's no escape, even the telly here has been full of Sarko (OMG does his reach extend as far as Stockholm, I wonder?). Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I think. A turnout of over 85% is pretty outstanding and for that I applaud the French people. I won't pretend the result was the one I'd hoped for but winning 53% of a record turnout must give Sarkozy a pretty strong mandate - and I hate to say it, but did anyone else think that Segolene Royal looked happier than she has in weeks? Home again tomorrow - send a car to the airport please!

No comments: