Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Shadow Theatre

Walking home from work Monday evening, I - quite literally - stumbled across this free screening of Molière's "Le Malade Imaginaire" outside the Comédie Française theatre. Everything was beautifully lit up with tiny candles and there was even a soup stall where you could be served by two men with real Molière-period-stylee wigs and britches. Excellent. Apart from the fact that - for the first time since New Year - it was actually freezing. Still lovely though. Interesting revelation: Molière was obviously a much bigger guy than I thought, judging from his chair, which they'd thoughtfully put outside in a glass case. Keeping things on an historical note - I should charge for these seamless links - did you see that France apparently nearly became part of the British Commonwealth in the 1950s (see BBC story here). Who knew? That'll go down like a lead balloon, I'm sure...

7 comments:

Reluctant Nomad said...

Interesting about the French almost becoming part of the British Commonwealth. So far, the only country to do so without historical ties to the UK is Mozambique.

Although, at one stage, large parts of the country were under British commercial control and Churchill did seek refuge at the British Embassy in Maputo after he escaped the Boers.

Anonymous said...

This morning when I read about France's thoughts of joining the Commonwealth in '56 on Le Monde site, my first thought was: "guess who's going to be blogging about that tonight!". Ha, I was so right!

Anyway, what can I say, too bad for the Brits and the Commonwealth who missed an opportunity to get a free entertainment park for Anglo-Saxons into their own country.

;-)

rhino75 said...

Don't you think it's amazing though? What a weird story. But I only mentioned it in passing really - don't be so touchy. You know that we'd still let you join the Commonwealth, all you have to do is ask nicely ;)

Anonymous said...

Being part of the Commonwealth is like saying you want to be part of the young Hegelians Club... obsolete and deadly useless.

(ahem... that's Hegelians... not Heideggerians)

Btw... I'm loving the cookbook!!! I think I'm going to mail you your present at this rate.ht

rhino75 said...

Shouldn't it be "Heidiggers"?? :))

Anonymous said...

ahem... are you testing me on a faculty wife joke? I'll see you in Freiberg first!

rhino75 said...

Just keep this thought in mind: "Sherry with the Dean" - that's all I'll say - arf!!