Thursday, August 24, 2006

Meditations

Given the photo and the title of this post, you could be forgiven, dear reader, for expecting some pearls of oriental wisdom. But a) I snapped this guy skulking by a funnel outside the Pompidou Centre and b) if you look closely, you can see that rather than being lost in deep thought, he is, in fact, having a crafty smoke. What a let-down!! So, to try and make it up to you, let me tell you what I've been doing in my two-day break from holidaying (it's a tiring business, you know). First of all, Miami Vice. I thought the plot was excellent and Jamie Foxx divine. But Colin, Colin, what were you doing in there?? Jeez, I think I'd make a better Sonny Crocket than you. The hair, the clothes, the accent - pure Dublin market trader. And were you reading your lines from flashcards?? And were they sometimes in the wrong order?? Don't get me wrong, I love Colin but I found him COMPLETELY unconvincing in this role. The other bizarre piece of casting was Chinese actress Gong Li as a Cuban foxtress/villain. Unfortunately, she didn't sound or look very Cuban at all. And I had to look away during the scenes where she and Col start to salsa - ay, ay , ay que dolor!! But Jamie and the rest of the cast did sterling work and kept me hooked until the end, and I did enjoy it, I just felt sorry for Colin. I also found time to take in an exhibition and "discovered" French artist Jean Bazaine. You can see some of his work here, but what I really loved were his pen and ink sketches of the Brittany coast, which verge on the abstract. I was so taken with him, I even bought his book "Le Temps de la Peinture"!! I also visited the Pompidou Centre's latest additions to their collection of Alfred Manessier, but I'm not keen, all a bit religious for me, apart from his Favellas. Anyway, revived by all this culture, I'm heading back down to the south of France now to laze around a bit more. Alarmingly, I received a text message from Mr. LOG this morning, claiming the Tourrettes-sur-Loup house has been attacked by wild boars. The photographic evidence provided was, shall we say, inconclusive, but I hope to hear more if we meet up with them this weekend. Bon voyage to me!!!

3 comments:

Betty said...

Yeah, I really like the Pompidou Centre (not that I know much about art). Maybe it's a case of thinking that the grass is greener on the other side of the Channel, but, face it, you wouldn't see soemone like that outside Birmingham Art Gallery or the Tate Modern, would you?

rhino75 said...

For a small fee, Betty, I'm sure I can arrange to have this gentleman shipped to a cultural venue of your choice. Mind you, he doesn't do much - he was smoking when I went in and he was smoking when I came out - not even a bit of bad mime. There's also a bad clown, who stands around smoking and hurling abuse at children. I like him.

Unknown said...

Damn those Boars.