Monday, May 08, 2006

Cows Week

As every self-respecting Tatler reader knows, Cowes Week is one of the highlights of "the season," a motley group of social events traditionally attended by the British upper-middles, toffs and grandees. Sadly - *sigh* - as with so many lovely things (Glyndebourne, Ascot, cream teas), it's all been hijacked by the corporate hospitality barons in recent years, and has, therefore, lost much, if not all, of its cachet. Imagine my delight therefore, dear reader, to discover an ALTERNATIVE (my italics) Cow(e)s-related (geddit?) event on this side of the channel. Yup, after New York, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Moscow, LA, Prague, Manchester and Stockholm (whew!!), the CowParade has made it to Paris. Only we have to call it Vach'Art (for the francophones among you). I've spotted a couple dotted around the Marais (notably near the Trésor, just off rue Vieille du Temple), but if you click here, you can see all the different "models" and vote for your favourite. There's also a prize draw where you can win your own cow-shaped trophy, or a set of 11 miniature cows in a special presentation case (nice!). I seem to remember that Václav Havel did one for Prague (goodness knows where he found the time). Nothing quite in that statesman-like league for Paris, but there is a Lacroix one and lingerie designer Chantal Thomass has had a go too. Fabulous. I shall rush out and buy a hat.

7 comments:

Rob7534 said...

Where these cows in chicago too? I thought I saw them before around town a few years ago?

rhino75 said...

You're right Rob, they were in Chicago in - wait for it - 1999. Paris, on the cutting edge as usual.

Frog with a Blog said...

I know, we're always a bit behind. I expect Mullet to be fashionable next year in Paris. Hello Kitty products should reach us 2010. What d'ya think?

Unknown said...

Rhino, how are you feeling? Is the back any better or has it moved to the posterior region as I suspect? Don't you think Frog will look just fasionable with a mullet? He'll be seen as a sex object for sure, oh woa is me!

Reluctant Nomad said...

They were in Cape Town a few years ago - they all started looking a bit dishevelled after a while, blots on the landscape they were....oh what a fuddy duddy I sound!!

But I would love to see Rhino in a new hat. And, talking of designers, I should blog my 'Chanel story' one of these days.

rhino75 said...

I'm still not 100%, Babs, and I'm still off work, but I'm doing much better. Had some X-rays at the end of last week that showed I'm still all bunched up on one side, but it's getting easier every day. Mwah Nomad, is there anywhere those cows haven't been?? We really are the last in the queue. But I'm intrigued - a Chanel story?? You must certainly blog it ASAP!!

Reluctant Nomad said...

I thought you would say that! Ok, let me see what I can do. Although it's definitely a Chanel story as in it concerns the real Chanel, it may not be quite what you expect/want :-)