Thursday, March 09, 2006

"Fraoch Eilean"

Clan Crest courtesy of ScotclansClan Crest courtesy of Scotclans
"What on earth is rhino75 on about now?" I hear you sigh. And yet, dear reader, back in the 10th century those two words would have struck terror into your heart. Because "Fraoch Eilean" (which translates as the slightly less blood-curdling "Heathery Isle") was the battle cry of the rhino75 clan. For I am a MacNaughton, descended from the great Pictish rulers of Mornay. I know I paint a picture of myself as a witty, sophisticated man of culture, but it's all an act. I'm pure Celt, never happier than when running howling through a Scottish forest in the rain with hardly any clothes on while being bitten to death by tiny insects. Who knew, eh? Actually, although I am a plastic Scot (i.e. born and raised in England), I am secretly very proud of my heritage and pleased that I have a funny non-English name. I think even now, I still have a copy of Robert Burn's (Scotland's best-known poet) work bound in the clan colours somewhere. So take time out to click on the rather fetching MacNaughton tartan above and plunge into the murky pool of rhino's past, including a (VERY) detailed account of "Great MacNaughtons in History" and rather strange story involving apples, a dragon and eternal youth. I'm off to find some trailing azalea (the clan plant).

10 comments:

Rob7534 said...

Rhino MacNaughton. Has a nice ring to it! =)

Can the non-scottish wear kilts? They look like fun!

rhino75 said...

Of course Rob, but you DO realise you're not allowed to wear anything underneath? It's traditional.

Unknown said...

Well brother,my grandfather was William Wallace Myers,a Scot and German, on Mom's side. My father was Micky O'Dwyer from County Cork. My grandmother was pregnant w/ him when they came here from Ireland. I have a very strong feeling about my heritage and nothing, I mean absolutely nothing is sexier than a man in a kilt. Run with the wind in your kilt, my friend!!

rhino75 said...

There is definitely something of the wild Celtic warrior woman that we both share, Babs, that's for sure ;-)

Reluctant Nomad said...

Being a Fitz-Patrick, I've got the Celtic stuff in my veins too....the clans are a-gathering!!

Anonymous said...

Och, lik'a sae ken, aye recken yeez arr nae moore proper Scotteesh than thee beg-noosed blonde-blaggin' tartan-clad troobardoure of Beverly Hells, Mr ROD STEWARRT

rhino75 said...

Col, yae wee tim'rous beastie...etc. Are you casting aspersions on my roots? I've told you about that before... :-) I don't know about Rod Stewart, but I'm easily as Sottish as Moira Stewart.

Reluctant Nomad said...

You know that Moira is a lesbian, right?

rhino75 said...

I don't know her THAT well!! :-))

jmac@willitsonline.com said...

S rino75
just found your site,
us Mac Naughton's are few and far between.
my name is Jeffrey Stuart Mac Naughton

Im 52 with 2 sons and 2 daughters
all currently living in Northern Ca. USA.
been on froach eilean in loc awe once about 15 years ago.

got to run now but lets keep in touch !

jmac@willitsonline.com