Friday, May 20, 2005

Ding-a-dong every hour...

...when you see a flower etc. etc. Hallelujah! It's Eurovision time again. The BBC had the bright idea of asking past contestants (including Sonia and Jay Aston of Buck's Fizz!!) for their memories of the contest (see here). The first winner that really made an impression on me was "Après Toi/Come What May" sung by Vicky Leandros, representing Luxembourg - she had a little bit of a mullet, droopy eyelids and a fondness for chokers, as I recall (they were very "in" at the time.) In fact, I blame Vicky and fellow Luxembourg songstress Anne-Marie David for starting a lifelong obsession with glamorous women, long frocks and overwrought ballads (well, I have to blame someone). Anyway, for what it's worth, here's my Eurovision Top 10:
  1. "Waterloo" by ABBA (because there will only ever be one Fab Four for me)
  2. "Hallelujah" by Milk & Honey (for the sexy Israeli men)
  3. "Tu te reconnaîtras" by Anne-Marie David (for the drama)
  4. "Save Your Kisses for Me" by the Brotherhood of Man (for the dance)
  5. "Boom Bang A Bang" by Lulu (for Lulu, gotta love her)
  6. "Ein bisschen Frieden" by Nicole (because I could play it on the guitar)
  7. "Take Me to Your Heaven" by Charlotte Nilsson (the very essence of Eurovision)
  8. "Making Your Mind Up" by Bucks Fizz (for the skirts and Mike's hair)
  9. "L'Oiseau et l'Enfant" by Marie Myriam (because I could understand the words)
  10. "Congratulations" by Cliff Richard (for Sir Cliff's Austin Powers suit)

No comments: